Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Your First Triathlon by Joe Friel

With my first triathlon 4 weeks away, needless to say I am a little nervous! A few weeks ago when I decided I wanted to train for and participate in triathlons, I had just completed my second marathon. This past Saturday, I finished my fifth marathon in four months. 

I am not a fast runner. In fact, I ran progressively slower each successive marathon, but I was not running them for PR's (personal records). Okay, during the second one I took a needless bathroom break at mile 17 because I "felt" 10 minutes ahead of my pace in first marathon and missed a PR by 32 seconds! (I'm over it now). But it is true that, for the most part, I ran the five marathons for endurance which is how beginner triathletes, like me, need to train. 

I finished reading Your First Triathlon by Joe Friel about a month ago and have benefited greatly from having it on hand the closer the date for my first tri approaches. I have been swimming in the local wellness center pool for about a month now, and I am improving each time I swim. The scariest thing to me about participating in a triathlon is the open water swim (OWS). Friel gives sound advice on the necessity of respecting an open water swim. 

Having an unavoidably swelled head from running 5 marathons in 4 months, Friel's advice has come in handy. It combined with the same advice from one of my marathon coaches finally humbled me to the fact that you never swim in open water alone. Honestly, without their advice, I would have most likely tried it. Of course, my wife would have probably killed me on the suggestion of it to her, so I am glad it did not go that far!  

The quotes below give a good summary of Friel's book: 

According to goodreads.com:
"Your First Triathlon is the best-selling book for beginner triathletes because it makes preparing for sprint triathlons fun and easy. This clear and comprehensive book prepares aspiring triathletes for the challenge of their first tri through a simple, 12-week training plan that requires fewer than 4 hours a week. By race day, you’ll have the confidence and fitness to enjoy your first triathlon: swimming a half mile, riding a bike 12 miles, and running 3 miles."

"Your First Triathlon offers a 12-week training plan for total beginners as well as custom plans for athletes already experienced in swimming, cycling, or running. The easy-to-use plans include achievable swim, bike, run, and optional strength workouts that will slowly but surely build you into a triathlete. As you build endurance, Joe Friel’s technique workouts will improve your speed and efficiency. Helpful tips will ensure you’ll know how to handle problems like a flat tire, soreness, and how to navigate questions about etiquette in the pool or on a group ride or run."
"Joe simplifies the complexities of the swim-bike-run sport with his smart advice on gear, how to prepare a transition area, finishing a stress-free swim, and ensuring that race day goes as planned. Joe offers tips on choosing a beginner-friendly triathlon and then walks you through your entire race week covering packet pickup, knowing the course, the pre-race briefing, what to eat for breakfast, check-in and body marking, how to set up your transition area, warming up, what to do in unexpected weather, a smart race plan, and what to do after you’ve finished your first triathlon."

"Joe Friel is the coach experienced triathletes trust most. His book The Triathlete’s Training Bible is the best-selling resource in the sport and now his trusted advice is available to help you enjoy your first triathlon."
I didn't really realize how much I needed this book when I bought it, or even how much I would need it after I read it, but as I continue to grow and improve as a pre-triathlete, I find myself referring to it often. 

Friel writes:
"Today there are four common triathlon distances. The longest, and the one most people think of when they hear the word "triathlon" is the Ironman-distance (140.6) or "ultra-distance" race. Ironman is the most readily recognized race, probably because it gets the most press and has been around a long time. The swim is 4,000 meters in open water, the bike portion is 112 miles, and the run is 26.2 miles. The winning time is generally between eight and nine hours, and the last-finisher cutoff time is usually seventeen hours."

"The next distance is the half-Ironman (70.3) race with 2,000 meter open water swim, 56 mile bike ride, and 13.1 mile run. This is a very popular distance with seasoned triathletes and is growing rapidly. The participants complete the race in about four to eight hours."

"The Olympic-distance triathlon goes back to the early 1980s and is the distance used in the Olympic and World Cup competition. The Olympic distance swim is 1,500 meters, the bike leg is 25 miles, and the run is 6.2 miles. The pros generally complete the race in under two hours, with the last finishers taking four to five hours." 

"The shortest distance triathlon is called the "sprint" race. The typical sprint is a half-mile swim, 13 mile bike ride, and 3 mile run. These races take only one or two hours to complete. You'll find there are slight variations in these distances and that there are some that don't fit neatly into any of these categories."

"The best way to prepare for an Ironman distance triathlon is to start by doing a sprint and then work your way up to it by completing several Olympic races and a few half-Ironman distances."
I plan to follow Friel's plan of working my way up to the Ironman distance over the period of a couple of years. My first sprint triathlon is a half-mile swim, 17 mile bike ride, and 3.1 mile run.

Do you need a new challenge in your life? Want to lose weight, look better, or eat without guilt? As Friel says, "These are all good reasons." and "Triathlon can help you accomplish all of these goals and more."


No comments:

Post a Comment