Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Becoming An Ultra Runner

I was glad to be done!
Photo by Gregg Gelmis
Running any distance beyond 26.2 miles is considered ultra running.

50k, or 50,000 meters (31 miles), is the most common distance followed by 50 miles, 100k (62 miles), and, finally, 100 miles. 

There are a few less common distances and even some beyond 100 miles, like the 135 mile Badwater Ultra Marathon in Death Valley, California (in July!), as well as, 12 hour, 24 hour, and many relays even longer than that, but 50k is where ultra running begins.

RECOVER FROM THE HOLIDAYS 50K

Since New Year's Eve 2013, I have finished four 50k's (with 1 DNF) and one 40 Miler. My first ultra marathon was a very satisfying experience. It is called "Recover From the Holidays" held every year on December 31st at John Hunt Running Park in Huntsville, AL.

JHRP is a 3-mile trail loop that winds along the outskirts of a golf course to its north and just over the hill, to the south, is the city dump. You never see the landfill, but if the wind is right, you definitely know it is there! Surprisingly, only a whiff is all I've ever gotten when running John Hunt, and I've run over a hundred miles there. I finished RFH50k in 6 hours and 32 minutes.

The set up is one aid station at the turn-around of the loop. That part of the course is an open field, so everyone sets up chairs and blankets on the ground with personal aid. The turn around itself is a row of tables with extra goodies to munch on every 30 minutes give or take, depending on your pace. The mood is jovial, probably because it's New Years' Eve, but also because the Race Directors do a great job. I am very glad I chose it to be my first ultra.
MOUNTAIN MIST 50K

Not sure what's up with the wrist.
Photo by Gregg Gelmis
I ran my second ultra distance about four weeks later, and it is the Holy Grail of 50k's in North Alabama. If you live in Huntsville, you can't really call yourself an ultra runner, or puff out your chest, if you have not run Mountain Mist.

I heard about MM a couple of years ago while running my second marathon with my friend, and fellow Marathon Maniac, Mark Zaremba. Mark was running his 64th marathon that day (he was also doing his first "Double" meaning he had run a marathon the day before). He said Mountain Mist was his favorite race, so I've known since then that I would someday learn what it was all about. And, Boy! Did I.

The thing about Mountain Mist (that I was not ready for) is part of the course called Natural Well and Rest Shelter beyond the 26.2 mile mark. Well, let me back up a little. Before you reach the second to last aid station, there is "Waterline."

When I first got to WL, it was a straight shot up a long, gradual hill. It's name is appropriate. It is a mound of dirt and big, edgy rocks covering a water line running from the bottom of the mountain to the top. Okay, I had heard about WL, so when I got to it, I thought, Pfff... Waterline, Shmahterline... Until I got to the top... Oh!This is what they meant.

The "top" of WL is a climb! Not a run. But a climb. Using your hands, and trying NOT to get hit by a tumbling stone or cause one for those below, or drop your water bottle, or slip on the icy rocks, or cramp and fall, or... You get it. So, I survive the climb, and didn't make any enemies with my feet. Now, this penultimate aid station of the race that comes before Natural Well & Rest Shelter is awesome! Boiled red potatoes with salt taste awesome after 25 miles of running. So awesome that I did not take any nutrition with me for what was ahead. Nearly, half the elevation gain in MM is in the last six miles! The combination of conquering Waterline and the boiled, red potatoes covered with salt fattened me up for the kill.

I leave the aid station thinking I got this... But like an outdated Dodge HEMI commercial, Mountain Mist said, "I bet I got something you don't got," and proceeded to alter my mood. As I whined and stepped out of everyone's way whom I had passed over the last two miles, they smiled and navigated the ankle-breaking gully known as Natural Well. I probably said, "Man, What is this???" to myself a hundred times mixed with a thousand "Ugghhs." I ran out of water. No GUs. No Hammer Gels. No nothing but the memory of red potatoes and salt for the next hour plus. At one point, I saw a GU pack that I thought was full. I reached down to pick it up. Empty! A guy was walking passed me laughing. It was bad. I was famished!

When I got to the last aid station (from there to the finish is a two mile flat run), I ate so many M&Ms and miniature candy bars, it had to be embarrassing for the aid station workers, because I was famished. I hate being famished! Nevertheless, I was able to run a lot of the last two miles which was somewhat redeeming, and I got to see my buddy Jen Bell at the finish line. That was great!

FALL CREEK FALLS 50K

My third ultra was two days ago (March 16, 2014)  at Fall Creek Falls State Park near Pikeville, TN. I drove up the day before and stayed in the FCF Inn which was very nice, especially the homemade chicken n' dumplins on the buffet! I met the lady who made them, and she boldly claimed, "They're better than Cracker Barrel!" They did not disappoint.

Fall Creek Falls Inn Saturday Night Buffet
After supper, I realized I forgot my Aleve. I did not want to suffer through 31 miles with no relief, so I asked the receptionist where I could get some, she said she had some aspirin, but "she couldn't give them to me (wink, wink)." She laid the bottle on the counter, and "Look what I found!" I got me four and slithered away from the NSA drone in the lobby...

When my phone alarm woke me, the first thing I thought was, "I forgot my water bottle!" The second thing I thought was, "Will I get struck by lightning today?" I navigated the remote control to The Weather Channel. So negative! I found a couple of Chattanooga stations and the weather man said, "No cloud to ground lightning, or anything like that," so I decided it was a go.

The forecast was rain. All day rain. I had never run a marathon or ultra completely in the rain, and I still haven't because it stopped 5 miles into the race and stayed dry until 2 minutes after the race. 

The course still had some slick spots. I slid and fell once and it tightened my hammy at mile 20. I felt the pain on the back side of my right knee for the last eleven miles. I did the walk-run shuffle with one section of mostly running from mile 23-26. The course was a 12 mile double-loop with a 3 mile double-back. We crossed a 150 foot swinging bridge twice and a slippery, rocky creek 4 times. I smacked a limb with my right shoulder twice trying to make the last stone. There was a lot of ducking conifer limbs. More ducking than I want to do anyway.

Since finishing my first three ultras last year. I've run 3 marathons, finished IRONMAN Louisville in August and my first 40 miler in November! I ran RFH50k a second time a couple of minutes slower than 2013 and I hope to take considerable time off my MM finish from last year tomorrow.

Recover From the Holidays 50k
December 31, 2013
Photo by Gregg Gelmis
Thanks for reading!

Dizzy Fifites 40 MILE Trail Run in 8:46:25!
November 15, 2014
Photo by Gregg Gelmis of We Run Huntsville

No comments:

Post a Comment