Wednesday, September 26, 2018

2018 GA JEWEL 100: Changing The Past with The LORD's Blessing

Photo Credit: Bottom (2016 GJ), Top Right: Jobie Williams
THE REASON

"You can't change the past."

Yes, you can.

You can change the meaning of past failures by not giving up on your dreams.

In fact, the more we desire to grow in character the more evident our failures will be on our way to becoming what we idealize.

And with the help, power and blessing of the Lord, we can make the past mean something different.

Failures do not destroy our dreams unless we decide they have. Failures teach us what we need to know to succeed.

As James Allen said, "Circumstances do not make the man, they reveal him to himself."

I finished my third 100 mile run on my second attempt at The Georgia Jewel 100 trail race on Sunday. A race I did not finish (DNF) two years ago dropping at mile 87.

Now, when I read my old race report, history has changed, because I trusted in the LORD to provide.

2016 Georgia Jewel Race Report (DNF, 87 Miles)

Every word in that report means something different now.

No change? = No growth (2 Peter 3:18)
Robert Anthony says, "mistaken certainties" keep us stuck. When we have believed/accepted a lie, we will act as if it is true regardless of whether it is.

When we don't want to grow, then we remain dependent or needy on others. We do not become independent and interdependent. God wants us to grow. In fact, He commands it as much as baptism and the Lord's Supper.

Most people are afraid to keep growing. They stop when they become adults. Excuses, familiarity, peer groups, and other vested interests blind us to the truths we need to discover about ourselves in order to keep maturing as adults.

God wants us to live in the truth (3 John 4). To grow (2 Pet. 3:18). To change when we learn new information (Eph. 4:14-16).

That's how I believe I finished the Georgia Jewel 100. By trusting in the LORD (Pro. 3:5). 

So, what did I learn, and what did I do differently? More on that below, but here's what we had to conquer.

THE RUN

Elevation Chart 2018 Georgia Jewel 100 Mile Trail Race

There's running a hundred miles, and then, there's running a hundred miles over mountains!

Since I had run all of the course (at different times) before, then I had some confidence from experience going in. I also knew that some changes to the course design were favorable: that the middle portion would be more runnable as the chart above shows.

(50 Miles) Run Out & Back (F. Baker)
Those mountains, though!

The mountain climbs eventually get to you. I started looking for the trail heads instead of staying in the moment around mile 70.

You get to where you just want the trail you're on to end and to start the next one. So, you hope that it's around the next turn in the trail or this tree or maybe that tree, but it never is.

It's dark, you're tired, but there's an aid station at the top. You repeat your positive mantras. You do only one thing--put one foot in front of the other.

The battle becomes about staying in the moment.

About resisting the desire for it to be over which only increases your present suffering. Hoping for the trail head to be there does not make it so.

Stay in the moment! Run the step you're on.

The aid stations are the lifeline of the course. About every seven miles you can sit down if you want, eat, change socks and shirts, etc. Trying to stay as fresh as you can. It's hot, but the aid station workers are unbelievably encouraging. They are there for you, and you know it. It keeps you going to the next one.

Your family and friends believe you can do it.

You do it for them. You don't want to let them down. Most of all, you do it for yourself.

mile 35
Visits and videos from family are vital. Likes and comments on Facebook make it feel like you're not alone, but you are alone.

At night on the top of a mountain running. The wind is blowing. The trail is narrow and rocky. On some mountains you're a few inches from the cliff's edge, serious injury or death, but you know what you signed up for.

The reward is worth it.

Laura, Brett, Alex, and my Mom came to see me at mile 35 around 3 p.m.

I looked forward to it all day. It kept me going.

Laura came back around 9 p.m. after she put the kids to bed with Mom at the hotel, so I remained encouraged and looked forward to her return while twice running the loops you see on the green map above.

They are 7 miles each.

This also shortened the night between times I would see my peeps. You never run a hundred miles alone. Without support, it's impossible for me. I must know that all is well to continue. Laura would text me updates about where they were, so I don't have to think about it and can just run.

Blister tape, pace chart & my trusty $5 chairs
There are 5 major peaks that must be conquered on the way out and 5 on the way back for a total of 10 major climbs and descents.

On the way out, it's hot, but you are at your strongest and excited to finally be running the race after a summer of training.

The middle portion is the loops which I personally love and the elevation is less and the technicality of the trails is much easier to navigate than the mountain trails. So, of course, this is where I fell down the most. 

The second time over the mountains at night it's cooler, so that's a boost. Plus you know that you've run them once already. It's also the time, however that you are the most lonely. The wind blows through the trees and you can't see anything but the trail illuminated by your headlamp.

The quad busting downhills get brutal at this time, so I picked up a limb to use as a trekking pole. I must have broken a dozen of them while running, but I would say, "Jehovah-Jireh" (The Lord Will Provide) and find another one along the trail momentarily.

THE RESULT

RD Jenny & her bullhorn
My approach to this race was simple. My purpose in running the race would not be for the buckle. The buckle, if I finished, would be a symbol of my purpose which was to glorify God.

To trust God to provide all that I needed to finish. And He did.

I was out there to
:

1. Give my best.

2. Stay in the moment.

3. Don't quit.

I repeated these statements to myself periodically throughout the race.

I didn't listen to my iPod much.

I took only a handful of pictures, since I had so many from 2016 found here:

Georgia Jewel 100 Pics Pinhoti Trail (2016)

I focused on finishing and most of all, not chafing!

I'm happy to report that I had virtually none.

Maximalist shoes, compression shorts, cream
At the start of the race, I looked like a clown with Desitin white make-up on from my navel to my knees. I treated mile one as if it were mile 100 concerning anti-friction cream. I took no chances.

I wore 2XU compression shorts which I got for $9.93 on the clearance rack at Dick's (something I viewed as the Providence of God, but I didn't know for sure until the race).

I had KT tape to cover the hot spot on my toes, Trail Toes cream and Eurostyle Chamois cream to slather my toes when I changed socks. I had large band-aids to cover my nips so they wouldn't bleed.

I took only one NSAID at a time about every 6-8 hours.

The Lord blessed my plans and gave me the victory. He can give you your victory, too, but that's between you and Him. 

THE RELIEF

I was encouraged by so many of you on Facebook, because Laura kept you updated.

Laura's Video of my finish

Kevin Mack and Cary Long were at the race start. I saw Liz Canty at Dry Creek. And Jonathan Spry texted me before and during the race.

Thanks y'all!

I promised my "Dug Gap Battle Road Running Buddy" Lauren Goderwis I'd see her again at Stover Rd. aid station the next morning and that helped to keep me pushing through the night.

I had to keep my word to them that I'd do what I said.

The RD's Jenny & Franklin Baker are making this the must-do-race of the decade, and if they keep doing what they are doing, there will be a waiting list for volunteers this race is so awesome!

They offer 17, 35, 50 and 100 mile distances.

I'm so happy that my story is part of the Georgia Jewel family of stories.

Thanks for reading my race report and for being a part in my journey of growth to glorify God.
_______________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment