Monday, September 3, 2018

2018 TUPELO MARATHON: Lessons Learned From Ahithophel & Buddy Fox

First TVA City
I have a minor, special connection with Tupelo, MS that goes back nearly 20 years. 

Before I attended seminary/preaching school (2000-2002) in Memphis, TN, and before I was married, or had children, or knew any Bible whatsoever, my Mom and I visited the birth and final resting places of Elvis Presley.

Also, my backyard has 3 TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) monster, power towers that support high voltage power lines. Noticing on the sign that Tupelo was the "first TVA city," somewhat endears this race to me.

TVA is a daily part of my life.

Running is also part of my life, but I didn't begin running until the fear of getting old set in while expecting our first child at age 39 seven years ago. My first race was the Running of the Bulls 5K. My longest was Tunnel Hill 100 Miler.

Running has been such a blessing to me, but I didn't feel that way yesterday after 8 am, three hours into my race.

One of the primary appeals of the Tupelo Marathon is its 5 a.m. start time on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend every year. The others are the medal, finisher shirt, air conditioned arena finish with free BBQ. And up until mile 17, all was well. Then the back half of the double loop course felt as terrible as the first loop felt good.

I looked like "E" for the last 9 miles




This wouldn't matter so much if I didn't have a 100 miler in three weeks.

A 100 miler that I DNF'd two years ago, and will probably be my last 100 miler for a long time to come.

So, as I struggled to finish yesterday's marathon and to stay in the moment of only a handful of miles to go, in the forefront of my mind was that if my upcoming hundred miler were yesterday's race, I'd have 83 more miles to go--impossible to do the way I was feeling at the time. 

Needless to say I was overwhelmed by more than just finishing the 26.2.

I knew that I would need to review exactly what I did wrong yesterday, and correct those mistakes, if I plan to have a chance of finishing the 2018 Georgia Jewel, so here they are.

Maybe they will benefit you in some way:

1. EAT a solid food breakfast and have gels on hand during the race. 

The first seventeen miles went great. I was high stepping at the start of the 2nd loop, and then...

Usually I'm fine with drinking a few Ensures in the morning before a race, but not having any gels out on course in my pocket did me in after 3 hours. Liquid calories early on were not enough. The Tupelo Marathon's aid stations are set up perfectly to not need to carry a water bottle, they also have bananas and oranges. I did not eat early nor often enough before it was too late.

Ahithophel = Brilliant Failure
2. DO NOT drink a 5-Hour Energy...

from the back of your car thinking that it will make a good race great. It ruined my race. I had trained plenty of miles for a race such as this, but had to keep my heart rate below 140 just to keep going after drinking a second 5 Hour Energy two and half hours after the first.

Greed is not good, Gordon Gekko.

3. Do not take a third Aleve when drinking said second 5 Hour Energy on an empty stomach.

David's Prayer + Lord's Blessing (2 Sam. 15:31)
Overconfidence regarding anti-friction cream sank my first GA Jewel in 2016. 

Overconfidence in stimulants and pain killers for a measly marathon almost did me in yesterday. Hmmm... Something about Elvis comes to mind here.

Marathons are never measly. 

Taking in too many substances like Aleve & 5 Hour Energy is not training for a race. It's looking for the easy way out. That's not the mindset one needs to finish demanding endurance events.

It's the mindset of a rock-n-roller looking to escape difficulty.

4. BE THANKFUL that this was not my goal race and adjust accordingly. 

 "This is your wake up call, Pal. Go to work." ~ Gordon Gekko

Well, unlike Buddy Fox in the movie Wall Street, I plan to seek the blessing of the Lord, and not rely on my foolish wisdom anymore, which was clearly shown to be as unhelpful as Ahithophel's counsel was to vain Absalom without the Lord's blessing (2 Samuel 17).

The time has come to finalize my plan and focus on finishing the 2018 Georgia Jewel Trail Race.

I have the miles. I have the experience. I have the confidence. I have succeeded running 100 miles in the past.

I have everything I need apart from the Lord which is worthless without Him.
 
My trust will not be in myself nor my own wisdom.

My trust will be in The Lord and His blessing.

My success will be to His glory and for His name's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment